Re: Math lesson needed!!!

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Math lesson needed!!!
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:13:20 -0800
I agree in the simplest calculation weight means little.  And in actual
practice this is the case at Bonneville because of the  length of both
courses.  But as the course gets shorter like El Mirage and Maxton some
faster machines can still be accelerating when they get to traps.
A better calculation would have a more complex formula that included the
distance for acceleration as one factor.  For such a calculation to be worth
anything you'd have to have a pretty accurate read on the engine horsepower
curve and the machine's drag factors (frontal area, Cd, friction drag),
friction coefficients of tires against the track surface, transmission
ratios, tire size and probably a few I haven't thought of.
Folks like Dave Dahlgren have worked out the complex calculations that
involve that stuff and with a little searching around you can find
reasonably priced computer software that will do all the math for you.  But
some of the factors are not as easy to measure as weight and gear ratios.
Bottom line for most of us is that if you've got a good run going glance at
the tach while you're in the traps and if it is climbing noticeably and
smoothly (meaning consistent traction) then careful weight reduction may
help.....as long as it doesn't adversely hurt handling or traction.
Ed Weldon