[Land-speed] Gaskets...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Gaskets...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:05:13 -0700
Some of you know that I had some issues with boost and with over
fueling.  Many said I looked like a diesel heading down the salt. Well,
today I started checking things. Well actually a day or two ago. I was
looking for places where boost could sneak off and hide. I may have
found a loose hose clamp on one turbo. Maybe. But I found no other
gaskets out of place or lookinglike they had leaked. Not counting the
intake to head gaskets. But today I ran a compression test on all 8
cylinders and ...bummer... #3 and # 8 were both down. # 3 down to 60
psig and #8 down to 100 where the tohers were all above 127 and very
closely matched. So I borrowed Skips leakdown tester and went at those 2
cylinders. Yikes! #3 would only hold 8 psig when hit with 100 on the
input. #8 was far better at 100 / 92 in / out. So I don't know about it.
But #3 is difinately out of whack. I listened at the intake manifold, no
hissing, no hissing at the exhaust pispe and surprisingly no bubbles int
he radiator water surge tank.  Never the less, I suspect the big blown
gasket. Now mind you these are Cometic MLS gaskets that are supposed to
be really good.  In the interest of scientific survey, however, let me
poll the group: What head gaskets are best for a 5.0L ford with aluminum
heads and running 16 to 18 psig boost? Any body want to hazard a guess
based on experience? I need to order some so that I can play with it all
next week. I have to go out of town this week to see a dentist (I
amgoing to sneak across the border the other way, lol) so no work after
tuesday..until Sat.

Helpful hints?  Thoughts?

many thanks,
'