[Land-speed] learning part 2

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] learning part 2
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 01:02:28 -0500
The other thing I wanted to bring up here with this learning junk... is the 4
levels of learning.  Often we'll stop learning because we think we "have it"
and don't need to reinforce the change in behavior past the level we're at...
so here are the 4 levels of learning.

Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation

Rote.... is the simple memorization of a skill and the ability to repeat it
back after you've learned it.  This is the very basis of learning a skill....
think of the shut down procedures your going to use...  Parachute, ease off
the throttle, put the car in Neutral, check temp's.  The ability to repeat
that back is Rote learning.

Understanding... is knowing why you do each of those things... I drive into
the chute underpower, then back off the throttle, slip the car into neutral
and then take a peak at how bad I hurt it.

Application... is the physical use of the steps... what you really do
mechanically in the car... touching each of the handles and making sure you
get it all in the proper sequence.

Correlation ... is putting the shut down procedures with all of the rest of it
to actually make a pass.... there's start procedures, launch procedures, run
stuff and ultimately what you do in shut down... so basically Correlation is
putting together a complete series of the independent events to compete a
single run...

Keith ( okay I'll try and put all of this together for you in the last one of
these )