Re: [Land-speed] cockpit design and layout

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] cockpit design and layout
From: "DahMurf" <lsr1301@dahmurf.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:34:46 -0400
IMO this is a no brainer for a bike person. You want your eyes on the
road/track not looking
at gauges. I know where my stuff is at before going down the track &
visualize it before my runs. If something goes wrong I have to react NOW &
not be looking around for switches, gauges, levers. I can think of so many
reasons why you would want to know where everything is & have it within
reach & I'm on a bike not in a car!

One thing I've noticed on the bike is when I come through the traps, if I
back it down & brake too hard too fast the force is enough that I have lost
visual for a second or three. It didn't phase me because I know what I want
to be doing & when even if I can't see. (just don't throw cones in front of
me!)

In a car, here's a bunch of the reasons I can think of loosing visuals;
rain, wind storm kicking up salt/sand, something in your eye, shield fog,
eye glass fog, contact lenses lifting (been there) a spin that disorients
you or puts you in a cloud of salt/dust, a roll, a fire, engine smoke,
people respond differently to rapid acceleration / deceleration, what if you
temporarily loose visual like I have, what if you have a medical emergency.
I think doing this stuff with you eyes closed or a blind fold on is a no
brainer. Anyone that's against it is just leaving out a valuable tool that
could save your behind!

Oh yeah & what Keith said about going where you're looking, that's the
truth! One of the racers we know ran through the Maxton shut down turn doing
all the normal stuff to get through it but focused on a cone & despite
proper body/bike position, they still went towards the cone! Target fixation
is a strong force, looking where you want to go is important & looking away
from what you want to avoid is something to be practiced too!

Deb #1302
Twin Jugs Racing