Re: [Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety

To: "Joe Timney" <Joetimney@dol.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety
From: "John Romero" <delsolid@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:14:44 -0700
Mayf,

SCTA has been moving towards Hans style units for the last couple of
years. Just a few years ago we were at horse collars and a high back
seat. SCTA has recognized the limitations of these and suggested
improvements. This year one of those improvements stopped being a
suggestion and became mandatory. SCTA currently suggests a hans type
device. In the future that type of device will (IMO) also stop being
merely a suggestion.

SCTA has basically acknowledged that these devices are still new and
many of our cars don't fit the mold (literally) they were designed for
so mandating a specific brand or model across the board would be silly
and possibly dangerous. Hence the talk about an engineered solution
for your car rather than a hard and firm make/model you must use.
Hopefully at some point in the future a mature SFI spec will emerge
that we can use as a guide. Until that time comes we simply have to
play it by ear.