lotus-cars

Re: Hello, the list!

To: "Paradise Music" <paradise.71@juno.com>, <lotus-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Hello, the list!
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 20:45:30 -0700
Steve (and whoever "Paradise Music" is),
I saw your email the other day but have been too busy to write back till now.
I was on the Yahoo list for a while but the inundation of people "putting
chrome baffle bearings" and "fuzzy dingle-balls" on Elises, etc, got the
better of me and I dropped off.

I race a Lotus 61 formula Ford with HSR-West out of Southern California (I
live in Sparks, NV).

I bought my Lotus in 2001 and spent the next year on a 'frame-off'
restoration. I build my own engines and gearboxes, and do my own 'minor'
machining. (Couldn't afford it if I couldn't do most of it myself).

In 2002, my first season to race open wheel cars since the Russell school in
1966, with HSR-West I finished 6'th in the Pacific Formula Ford series and
second in the formula class of the Lotus Sport Challenge. In 2003 I again was
6'th in the Pacific series and won the formula class of the Lotus Challenge
series. Thus far this year, out of four starts I have three DNF's and a class
win in the Pacific series and one DNF, two overall wins and one class win in
the Lotus series.

You don't say if you are a racer or a collector. If you are a vintage racer
you might want to consider 'a long tow' and race the third HSR-West Southern
California Historic Sports Car Festival in June. Califronia Speedway (Fontana,
CA) has got to be the most awesome race track I've ever been on. It doesn't
have a 'mystique' like Riverside Raceway had or like Sears Point or Laguna
Seca have, but it has an "Indy" type mystique to it. You feel like "I've made
the grade" when you race there, if you catch my drift.

If you are a collector and have an interest in vintage racing you might want
to come down for the weekend. To quote from the entry form flyer: "Lotus Cars
USA will present the new exciting Lotus Elise street version at the event and
we will feature Lotus Cars, celebrating 50 years of Lotus".

Lastly, maybe, just maybe, this list can get resurrected by us "die-hard"
Lotus people who are really into the cars..... and not the latest 'chrome
ashtrays'!!

Enough of this for now. It's been a long day and "the Warden" (wife) has
already let me know how busy I'm going to be this weekend!!

Take care,
        Carl McLelland

        CarLynne Racing LLC
        carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net

  At 02:43 PM 5/7/2004 +0000, Paradise Music wrote:
  >Just resubscribed.  This used to be a pretty busy list. Anyone here now?

  Everyone's at Yahoo.  Your's is the first post I've seen in a year.
  I got a couple of personal replies from some of the notable Lotus
  people so there are still a few who've kept their subscriptions.

  Steve Shipley