lotus-cars

Excel differential woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, chapman-era@autox.team.net,
Subject: Excel differential woes
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:45:44 -0600
So I'm working on this Lotus Excel for a local fellow here in Salt Lake
[ http://utahlotusmuseum.com ] and we've run into a bit of a problem.  The
diff was making noise, I pulled it out of the car.  No major problem there,
other than the last two bolts taking about an hour and 45 minutes to get out.
What fun, luckily I didn't bleed that much.

I was under the impression that the gearbox and rear end were Toyota Celica
units.  Apparently this is not the case.  We were hoping that fixing the
ring and pinion would be fairly straightforward, using off the shelf Toyota
bits, but such is not to be.  So where do we source a ring and pinion for this
diff of unknown origin in this grey market Lotus?

--
mjb.

http://fatchancegarage.com

"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep is the gettin' there."