mg-mmm

From Pip, pt 1

To: mmm <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: From Pip, pt 1
From: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 08:52:12 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
[sending in 2 parts - bounces because it's over 10,000 characters. -rg]

Subject: New Zealand trip for P-type
From: mgwizard@caloundra.net

Some of you will know that I was taking my P-type to New Zealand to
compete in the Pre 1956 MG Rally. I thought I would throw a few words
together to let you know how it went.
We Came, We Saw & We Conquered.
An invitation was issued to several Australians to attend the MG Pre 1956
meeting in New Zealand during January, 2001. Quite a good deal of
interest was shown by members with interests in Pre War MG's in Australia.
Plans were laid for Murray Arrundell & myself to fly cars over to New
Zealand and Lynne & I were to meet up with Ron & Lindy Taylor and do a
weeks touring before the meeting commencing with registration on 7th
January. Also in attendance were Marta & Phil Redhead & the Smith family
from Sydney.
Lynne & I felt we would need to rest up before this touring adventure with
the Taylors' so we booked 3 nights over Xmas at Huka Lodge near Lake
Taupo. The quality, beauty and peace of this place is beyond belief and
well worth at least one visit in every ones life. Would you believe that
we met a Belgium guy there, who rebuilds J2s for a hobby. From here Lynne
and I flew to Motueka (near Nelson on the south island) to renew
friendships with B & B hosts where we had stayed previously. It was,
again, simply magnificent even though there were no MG's.
A quick trip by plane to Auckland & we were met by Ron Taylor. Somehow we
managed to jam everything into the 4 wheel drive. Ron had a large
suitcase of camera equipment & Lindy had 2 huge suitcases (of Champagne, I
think) and so the tone of the trip was set with a laugh a minute all the
way to Bay of Islands where we met up with Robert & Jill Smith from Sydney
+ their two wonderful children and Kim & Kate Walker, now living back in
Auckland after many years in Australia.
The weather was cold & windy but the friendship warm & strong. Ron,
Lindy, Pip & "Miss" (Nick age 15) Smith went deep sea fishing and were
delighted with the experience & success of the mission. New years eve was
spent trying to drink Lindys Champagne Cellar and eating far too much.
 From here up into the mountains and yes, we did see a flock of KIWIS after
drinking that 3rd bottle of port the night before we headed back to
Auckland. We collected my P-type (Murray unfortunately did not make it
with his TC) and managed to bluff our way through the certificate process
so we could drive to from Auckland to the meeting at Masterton. My car
had been flown over on Xmas day and collected & stored by Club Member,
John Hancock. When we pulled into his drive way, there were 2 beautiful
P-types & a J2 in his sparkling garage.
I could not have managed without Johns help. He purchased all the things
we needed that could not be flown over. Things like a drum of special
racing fuel, Aero start, oil etc. He arranged the inspection. Everything
went perfectly. Bill Bollendonk & his wife Jeanie and Jack Kailher (all
from USA) were staying with John. I knew all these people from trips to
USA. Both Bill & Jack had purchased P-types in New Zealand and were to
fly them back to USA after the trip. Bills car was a beauty and Jacks
will be magnificent as he has done some special work on 2 M-types he owns
in USA.
So we set off individually. I was escorted by Ron to Rotorua and the
others went through to Taupo where we all met for lunch on 6th. John
Hancock was driving his beautiful VA saloon & Jack was driving Johns TD.
Bill & Jeanie were driving Johns 4 wheel drive towing a trailer with Bills
PA on board. Unfortunately the VA chewed up the generator and needed a
"bypass operation" to continue. In the normal MG way this was achieved
and we set forth to Napier in convoy with a beautiful TC and other MG's
including a wonderful SA open sports model.
Napier was a glorious stop and we stayed in a fabulous motel (The Beach
Front Motel) and spent a grand evening out at one of the night spots. I
think the New Zealanders were trying to nobbled me by force feeding me so
that the P would be weighted down and not able to run quickly. Another
great night of merriment and too much drinking. Next morning we split up
and the convoy went off towards Masterton and Ron, Lindy & Lynne spent the
morning with their own pursuits before following. The convoy stopped at
several Antique shops & the Americans helped re build the New Zealand
economy.
A safe arrival at Masterton and registration. What a welcome with the
Twin Cam R-type in the foyer. I learnt much from this display. Did you
know that this was one of just 11 R-types built ? I certainly did not
know that.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol