mg-mmm

RE: J type stub axles

To: "Andrew Fock" <awfock@optushome.com.au>, "MG Pre-war" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J type stub axles
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:43:26 -0300
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Andrew,
I make a stub axle insert to repair cracked TC steering knuckles. The
steering knuckle is bored out and the insert installed with an interference
fit from the inside with an inner  flange so it cannot come out. I believe
the stub axle dimensions are the same for J2, PA and TC so the TC insert
will work. The axle inserts are ASTM 4140 HT and SR and have 130,000 psi
tensile strength with good ductility. I and a friend have used the TC
inserts in our TC race cars for 5 years with no problems. We did strip one
car down and magnafluxed the stub axle inserts after 2 seasons of use and
found no cracks. I have a local machine shop who has successfully installed
some axle inserts for me into TC steering knuckles. I am prepared to offer
this service to others if interested. Total cost to supply ( $35.00 US$ )
and install ( $65.00 US$ )  an insert will be $100.00 US$ each side plus
postage.
One small difference, I use a modern 3/4" NF thread on the outer stub axle
insert ends, same as later TD/TF and MGA. This was done to get a stronger
assembly. So you need to buy a set of 3/4" NF left and right thread axle
nuts from a TD/TF/MGA. Also bore out the washer to 3/4" or use later
TD/TF/MGA units. Original TA/TC and MMM thread was 5/8" BSF.
Email me if any interest.
Regards, Bob Grunau