mg-mmm

Re: P petrol tank

To: <DSBonar@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: P petrol tank
From: "Gillian Morbey" <gill.morbey@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:04:56 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don

My PA tank had been patched at the back when I bought the car for
restoration some years ago.  The patch contained the indentations you
describe.  To give me a better chance of having no fuel leaks, I lined the
tank with a proprietary goo sold for the purpose by Complete Automobilist
here in the UK, and I have had no problems since.  The patch is invisible
when the tank is on the car .

I reckon this area is prone to rusting because water collects in or around
the rubber strips which protect the tank from vibration against the car
body.  When I restored mine, instead of having a horizontal strip I fixed
the rubber strips so they were very slightly inclined - like a pitch of a
roof, the theory being that water would drain away from the area.

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA0743