mg-mmm

PA Block

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: PA Block
From: DENKLEMM@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:01:26 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi All,
Here is the story of my PA block. Machine shop #1, ultrasonic measure the
cylinder walls and determined that the block could be bored to 60 mm and
still have a wall thickness of .250" They supposedly cleaned the block up and
checked it for cracks. After boring the block, they informed me that they
really did not do bearing babbits and would take another 14 weeks.

After that and advise from a new friend, I took the block to machine shop #2.
They cleaned up the block and found cracks in the water jacket, which they
then stitched welded up. They had the bearings babbitted. I had them check
the cylinders as my trust of machine shop #1 was gone. They found one of the
cylinders cracked thru to the water jacket. Ultrasonic testing revealed .080"
wall thickness, not .250". They determined the best procedure would be to
sleeve that cylinder. Upon trying to install the sleeve, the entire cylinder
wall collapsed. That's why I'm looking for a different block.

This started as an inspection, let me know it needs in October to this
disaster mid March.

I currently have a person checking on a PB block for me and I have sent an
e-mail to P. Green in England about a new one. Any other sources will be
greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Dennis
PA1518 missing block