mg-mmm

Dynamos 6/12volt

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net, british-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net
Subject: Dynamos 6/12volt
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:45:03 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Listers,

Question regarding dynamos and compatibility of using either 6 volt or, 12
volt armatures. I realise that the field windings on a 6 or,12v dynamo would
be different.
However, I have a complete 6 volt MMM MG dynamo and a 12 volt armature of the
same physical size and key way locations.

Would these be interchangeable between either 6 or 12 volt units? I'm
presuming that they would be but wouldn't prefer to take the risk without
more knowledgeable advise.
If they are wound differently, what is the test to establish their identity?
I'm not referring to a growler test for continuity.

All other features of the Lucas dynamo are the same as the 12 volt unit.
Including the third brush.

All responses appreciated. Thanks.

Brian Kelly.
P-Type.