mg-mmm

PA Block follow-up.

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: PA Block follow-up.
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:51:34 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Listers,

Recently I wrote the list asking for suggestions on repairing a PA block that
had holed in number four cylinder. The hole was 3/4" long (horizontally) and
about 3/16" deep.

I wish to thank respondents for the replies and suggestions. A new block
being the simple way to go. I decided not to go that route, for the life of me
can't remember the reason. Perhaps money had something to do with it.

A wet liner was out. Dry liner? I didn't want to totally ruin the block
without first trying other methods. As you might recall the bottom of the liner
would not have full support all around causing Rad. fluid to creep and leak.

The Hard Block was next from the list, I must give credit also to one of the
machinists that I visited in Topeka. He also stated this method and showed me
a work sample. I would have had to pour in around a one inch thick base. This
would have blocked the drain tap hole, interfered with the water jacket plates
aperture and reduced the water content of the block somewhat. I dwelled on
this for some time.

Lastly the suggestion of JB weld. Quick and cheap. Worth the shot methinks.

So, I managed to "pour" in JB Weld through the hole in the cylinder.
Positioned the block to form the weld in a general direction of the area
required.
Heat lamp to harden. Part way through the process scrap off excess from inside
the wall. Turned out very neatly. Did I get enough in there???? Will it adhere
correctly???
Will I be sorry???

I'll assemble the engine and try it. I'll keep close tabs on oil
discolouration by dip stick and dropping the sump at 100 and five hundred
miles. I
promise.

Flying out to GoF West aboard The Queen Mary, Long Beach, California,
tomorrow. Sorry that the PA wasn't ready to roll. Next month, hopefully. The
head is
ready and assembled.

Brian.