mg-mmm

Hobson's Tele Gauge/unit

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net, british-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net
Subject: Hobson's Tele Gauge/unit
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:28:16 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Listers,

Can anyone educate me on the Hobson's Tele Gauge system. Fuel gauge.
The petrol tank "sensor" consists of an approximate 12" long x 1-1/2" brass
unit. It has four variously spaced brass cups and 4 1/8" brass tubes leading
from them in towards the main chamber, which is located at the bottom of the
unit. Outside on top of the tank one pipe to the gauge and a second presumably
for a vent(?). How do you test the rear unit. I'm at odds because I don't even
pretend to understand it's function.

Can anyone supply info. or lead me to it, please? I'd appreciate a brief
synopsis of the function of the rear unit and the pipe to the gauge if
possible.
I'm about to go to the UK and take in Beaulieu next month and also drop my
instruments of at John Marks, Vintage Restorations. I'd like to be acquainted
with
the unit before I go. John doesn't touch the rear unit in question.

All help gratefully received.

Cheers.

Brian Kelly.