mg-mmm

RE: [mg-tabc] MG TC chassis nuts and bolts

To: "Mg-Tabc" <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>, "John Patterson" <jwp_mgtc@chartermi.net>
Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] MG TC chassis nuts and bolts
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:11:02 -0500
Cc: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi John,
And I bought a set of 9  1/2" drive BSF Craftsman sockets from Sears for
$9.00 in 1958 when I had my first TD. Lifetime guarantee. Unfortunately
guarantee no good now as they no longer supply BSF sockets. However they
will, if pressed, supply the nearest equivalent size in metric or AF.
BTW, Snap-On supplied nice 3/8" drive BSF sockets till recently. They are
now no longer supplying these so make sure you keep track of your BSF
Snap-On sockets.

Ref below, more bids on the Whitworth taps and dies out of New Zealand, hope
none of our members are bidding. The vendor refuses to correct the listing
description ( or my message is not getting through? ).
Bob Grunau

Bob, I have a set of BSF taps & dies that I bought from SEARS way back in
the late 50's and indeed they come in handy. I think they sold for $9.95 a
set!
John Patterson

A few days ago, somebody was asking for clarification on the use of
Whitworth and metric bolt threads on the MG TC.
First be advised that there are very few Whitworth threads used on the TC.
The generator top adjusting lock bolt and possibly door hinge bolts come to
mind. British Standard Fine ( BSF ) is the common thread used on the chassis
. NOT Whitworth.
And we all know the engines and gearboxes are , for the most part, metric
threads.
There is a vendor on Ebay who is currently offering two sets of Whitworth
Taps and dies for sale for the maintenance etc of MG TCs. This is incorrect
and I have asked him to correct the listing. Unfortunately he has neglected
to do so and has several bids on these taps and die sets. So if you are
bidding on these Whitworth Taps and dies for your TC, be forewarned, they
will be of little use on the TC.
Now if you find a set of BSF taps and dies, they are useful.
Bob Grunau