mg-mmm

P-type water pump

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: P-type water pump
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:15:43 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Gentlemen,

I have been experiencing a moderately significant water leak. I traced it  to
the packing gland tightening nut on the bottom of the water pump. In
attempting to tighten it in situ, I was unable to do so as each time I gave it
twist, it would spring back to original location. No place to see or work for a

ham-fisted guy like myself.

After removing the pump, I found the large spring directly below the  nut to
be "frozen" to the nut, causing the spring effect I had been previously
experiencing. After unfreezing, I was able to tighten the nut using  the
"Blower
method" (page 65 in my copy) of small steel rods fulcrumed  against the pump
body.

With that as background... Mr Blower adds "... (the packing nut) should  only
be tightened sufficiently to prevent leaks".

After all that...
Question:

Without more upside down, under the pump wrenching, after re-installation,
how tight? I tightened it down (I believe British pipe thread) with moderate
pressure. The pump shaft turns easily but does not spin like a top. What's the
down side of over-tightening? I understand a frozen or locked shaft but I
seem  far from that.

Is there an easy way to tell? I thought about filling the pump chamber with
water and loosening the nut until it began to leak, the reverse but that seems
a  bit much for something that should be easy.
Thanks,
Don B.