Re: Noisy CB in my TD

To: deboer@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Noisy CB in my TD
From: lpalmer@vanstar.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:23:32 -0500
Point well taken!

Lew

deboer@pacbell.net on 04/09/98 09:26:08 AM

Please respond to deboer@pacbell.net

To:   mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
cc:    (bcc: Lewis Palmer/Notes4/Vanstar)

Nobody has addressed the fact that an uneven commutator, with the
brushes jumping and arcing is often the real problem with generator RF
noise. Simply putting a capacitor on is like putting a bandaid on a big
wound. I usually turned the armature, replaced the brushes AND installed
a capacitor to get a much greater reduction in static.
Cleaning/replacing the rotor & cap also helps, and also keep the cap and
HT wires CLEAN!
BTW: the PLACEMENT of the antenna affects the field strength of the
signal. If you put the antenna on the rear splash apron, @80 % of the
signal will go diagonally to the FRONT. For a simple visualization: just
think of the car body steel as a "magnet" that "pulls" the signal out of
the antenna and sends it on it's way. For maximum loops both fore AND
aft, the antenna should be centered just ahead of the windshield on a T
type.  Jarl