Re: Seat Slide Ass'y

To: rthompson@flex.net
Subject: Re: Seat Slide Ass'y
From: mgbob@juno.com (Bob Howard)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 07:41:45 EST
Roger,
  The lower half of the seat tracks does set right onto the carpet. The
bolts pass through the front end of the track.
  On the back of the seatback is a metal pocket into which one leaf of
the hinge fits.  The hinge is screwed into the bottom of the seat bottom,
with an inch or so of hing hanging out behind the after edge of the seat
bottom. If you need that measurement, let me know and I'll measure my car
for you.  The metal pocket is fastened to the after edge of the seatback
with some round-head screws, about 5/8 #6.  One assumes that the hinge
and pocket arrangement  is to allow the seatback to be lifted out of the
car and off the seat bottoms easily.
  If the seats do not slide, I would first check that the tracks are
aligned adequately. You might need to get the seatback out of the car and
out of your way, then loosen the track bolts slightly. Slide the seat
bottoms around until they move smootly, then tighten the bolts again.
It's possible that the left and right side pieces won't interchange--I
don't know, but that could be a reason that they do not slide.  A spot of
oil on the tracks' bearing surfaces may help them move better too.
Bob