Re:LRP

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:LRP
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:21:10 -0800 (PST)
Re: Lead Additives & Catalysts

Listers,

As a writer, I have been trying to dispell all of this gloom & doom crap
for months now to no avail.  I had to back off when asked to write an
article by the editor of Minor Monthly in the UK about the situation and
then realised that they were selling pages of adverts for firms selling
"snake oil" additives and my article would refute all of this nonsense and
cost the publications $$$$$$$$.

So I went to the unsubsadised internet and was rebuffed by a number of
British enthusiasts who bought into the Govt. test of a BMC A series engine
that showed considerable wear.  There were a few horror stories but I
suspect that the engines weren't in great shape to start with and there
were other problems to be considered. Lead is a serious problem and
probably shouldn't be burned into the air anyway and if you have to upgrade
your head during a rebuild, SO WHAT???

The next few years are going to usher in changes in transportation that
will make our heads swim - start thinking about electric conversions and
running your old car on propane.  That is the future folks!  A hundred
years ago everyone was riding horses and we were up to our ankles in horse
manure. Video killed the radio star and I think that the car made us late
for the train. People called me crazy.  SO WHAT???

As for me, I want to find out some info on electric milk floats, like
cruising speed and how long a charge lasts (miles???).  How much are they
worth?  And would one be usable around the beach and up and down Main St.
Saw "The Borrowers" again on cable and found the floats (very quiet little
milk delivery trucks sized between a Minor Van and a VW Kombi) to be almost
as charming as the Minors featured in the film. We even used to have a
little local dairy/bottling plant called the Edgemar Dairy just around the
corner on Rose Ave, that was torn down in the '70s and replaced with a
storage lock-up facility, that has a traditional livery to paint on one!

Any Ideas???

While change is a bummer, life goes on. Happy New Year to all!!!

Rick Feibusch
Journalist/Appraiser
Venice Beach, California