Re:Pertronix Ignition Installation

To: "Nigel Geach (CRFPULP)" <Ngeach@fccl.com>,
Subject: Re:Pertronix Ignition Installation
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:45:01 -0400 (EDT)
Just thought I would share my experience in installing the Pertronix
in my TD.  First problem started in selecting the correct unit.  I
looked at the illustrations in the service manual and compared  those
to my distributor cam but could not distinguish between asymmetric,
high lift and whatever the other one was.  I drove the car out to Skip
Kelsey's, and we looked at it together and made an educated guess.
Finally we decided on the asymmetric.  When I got home and tried to
slide the magnet over the distributor cam it wouldn't seat. It would
slide over the cam but not far enough to allow the rotor to seat
properly.  I assumed I had the wrong unit.  I exchanged it for the
other unit (there are only two for the TD) and found that fit was
worse.

I talked to other members in the club who had installed these things.
 No one seemed to have experienced a tight fit over the cam.  Finally
with Skip's pen knife we whittled away at the plastic ridge inside the
magnet and got it to slide down over the cam.  The car started right
up.  I had about a three mile drive home before I could set the
timing.

I remember discussions long-ago about rattling in the gear shift lever
being attributed to retarded timing, and I can attest that this was
significant. Traveling uphill the gear shift lever sounded like
marbles in a coffee can.  I first tried to set the timing by the
static method, but couldn't start the engine after three different
tries.  I finally resorted to a timing light, aligning the distributor
to its original position, and then rotating it while the engine was
running. I was surprised at how far off the timing was . . . actually
advanced by about 80 degrees (360 degrees in a circle).  With the
timing light I set it to about five degrees advanced (rpm at 800)...
rotating the distributor 30 or 40 degrees counter clockwise to do so.
Now it runs like a dream.  I used to think the engine was pretty
smooth, but now it buzzes like a contented bee at all speeds. We just
completed a 600 mile trip to Yosemite and back and it performed
beautifully.

So, installation was not smooth and easy, and I have a suspicion that
I have the magnet misalignedd a bit on the cam, but the results are
wonderful.

Andy Moyce
52 TD