Re: Chassis paint questions

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis paint questions
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:13:20 -0800
Danko:

FWIW:

My TD had a semi gloss sort of runny black paint used on it with no
primer.   Considering the time when they were made, it was probably
what we in the US call chassis black and was an alkyd enamel.

Some people are using modern two part hardening paints or even powder
coating.

My 2 cents:  I wonder why, especially on a TD, you would want to
increase the cost of the rebuild with these paints.  These cars will
never see the abuse they may have had when new: rain, snow, salt,
stone chips from gravel roads.  And, I really don't like the high
gloss on the frame that these treatments leave.  When I repainted the
TD in 1972, I used Dupont alkyd enamel on the frame.  It probably is
in better shape now than the original was when the car was redone.
And my paint preparation wasn't the best:  a thorough steam cleaning
and then spraying with paint.  Car restoration has changed alot since
then.

Blake

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list