Re: Stripped front shock bolt

To: Curt Strohacker <strohacker@acadia.net>
Subject: Re: Stripped front shock bolt
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:17:40 -0600
Curt:

Oh, boy!  That thread is either metric or British Standard fine.

A larger thread size also means you'll have to bore out the hole
on the shock for the larger bolt diameter.   Do you really want
to do that?

If the thread is metric, then consider using an thread repair
insert such as KeenSert or Helicoil.

If its BSF, I don't think you can find any inserts.  I'd then
consider putting in a SAE thread repair the same diameter as the
original bolt.  That way you're not also modifiying the shock.

The other solution would be to find a very good man with a
welder.  Weld the hole partially shut and retap.  Taps are
available for both the metric and BSF.

I don't know if this is possible, but perhaps you can remove the
spring, bore out the hole a bit more, and use a longer bolt with
a nut.  If you can get the nut up inside, perhaps this is the
easiest.

Blake

P.S. You could do like I've seen done:  Weld the shock where the
bolts gone!

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list
///