Follow up on tapping

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Follow up on tapping
From: "Dr. Moyce" <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:13:49 -0700
I wrote last week about increasing tapping in my valve train.

The answer seems to be one of the pushrods.
I took the rocker arm and tappets out last week and found that the tip of one
of the (new) pushrods had detached from the top of the rod. The part looks
like a metal golf tee that inserts into the hollow shaft of the rod. It was
still in place, but now is floating in the rod, so must have been clicking
each time it engaged the rocker.
At Skip Kelsey's suggestion I checked the tappets for wear and found some
significant pitting on a few of them. The worst pitting is on the tappets at
each end of the engine, the 1 and the 8, with relative sparing of the center
units. Since Skip says they have a relatively short life, and I don't want to
risk damage to the cam, I'll replace them all.  I'll let you know how quiet
the engine is when I get it back together.
At the GOF West, in a general session, one of the gurus suggested lapping
either the tappets or the pushrods to get a really quiet engine.  Anyone know
which one? Can I lap these things myself?

Andy
52 TD

///
///  mg-t@autox.team.net mailing list