Bad news, I think

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad news, I think
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:13:32 -0500 (EST)
I just checked the compression and found that, while cylinders 2 and
3 measure 150, cylinder 1 gets 130 and 4 gets only 120.  I then
squirted oil into cyls 1 and 4 . . . 1 went up to 180 and 4 to 150. I
rechecked all the valve clearances and they were virtually okay
at .013" (thirteen thousanths)cold. One or two were a little tighter
and one or two were at .014, but then I retested compression and got
the same results.
I think I remember that compression that improves with oil in the
cylinder pinpoints valves, is this right?

The engine had a complete rebuild 18,000 miles ago and has only run
with synthetic oil, which I change every 3000 miles. I've never
checked compression before, so don't know if this all happened
yesterday. Cylinders 1 and 4 were the ones that showed significant
pitting on the tappets (I replaced them all).
Is there any next step other than taking the head off and redoing the
valves?  How about the cam?  It's starting to look like a long winter.
Should I bother starting it up and rechecking the timing, or does it
need to be fixed before it runs again?
Andy Moyce
(ailing) 52 TD.

///