Forwarded for Chris Nowlan: re Jerry's passing & obituary

To: cjnowlan@cox.net, mg-tabc@egroups.com (T-ABCs_Forever),
Subject: Forwarded for Chris Nowlan: re Jerry's passing & obituary
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:05:59 EDT
 Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 6:34 AM
 Subject: re Jerry's passing & obituary

 Guys,
        Laurie and I have been on the east coast and we were pleased to have
been with Jerry, Doris & Nicole last week.  They have been truly like family
to me for the better part of my own life. ( as a 6 year old, I really thought
MG stood for Mr. Goguen and that all MGs were built in Needham Mass ! )
Jerry was quite emotional as I told him about my visit to Silverstone and the
long list of friends that had asked about him.  Doris thought we should also
take the occasion to present him with the Jerry Keuper award which Bill
Tantau had arranged to send some weeks ago.   Doris had hoped that a group of
MMM and MG-T  enthusiasts including David Jackson,  the recently rediscovered
previous owner of Jerry 's K3 from 56-63 could be there but his illness was
taking it's toll and this was simply not possible.

     Doris & Nicole have been overwhelmed by cards, flowers and words of
comfort from friends around the world.  The following obituary is for general
distribution to the MG community.
     I have lots of "Jerry" stories to relate and fond memories of our
adventures together.  He will be missed.   More to follow.
 Cheers,
 Chris Nowlan

 Jerry Goguen, an extraordinary MG enthusiast and renaissance man, passed
away peacefully on July 28th after a courageous 15 month battle with cancer.
Born in 1925 in Rumford, Maine of French Canadian stock, Jerry learned
English as a second language while excelling in music, speed skating and
skiing. After a stint in the Army music corps during WWII, he finished his
education at the New England Conservatory of Music before joining the Boston
Symphony Orchestra where his talents with the trumpet served him well until
his retirement in 1979.

 Jerry's first MG was a TD model purchased new in 1953. By 1955 he had opened
a small MG and VW dealership in Lunenburg, MA. This venture was, however,
short-lived due to operational policy changes within both the BMC and
Volkswagen organizations. During the late 1950's and early 60's, Jerry built,
rebuilt and recycled many T-series MGs long before T-series cars were
generally considered classics or thought worthy of "restoration."

 In the early 1960's he started to acquire from MG dealers and distributors
across the country a treasure trove of "obsolete" new, old stock T-series
parts while touring with the Orchestra. During European tours with the BSO in
the mid 1960's, he visited many UK dealers, and established manufacturing
contacts that would lead him to become a major contributor to the worldwide
preservation of T-series MGs. This inventory and fledgling business grew into
Abingdon Spares, Ltd. Jerry was well known in UK Autojumble circles for his
never ending quest for NOS parts to add to his growing inventory.

 Jerry's interest in Pre-war MGs also grew, and during the 70's & 80's he
amassed a large collection of pre & post war MGs which in time evolved into
the Westminster MG Museum. With over 40 different models, including most of
the rare Pre-war models, this became what was perhaps the world's largest
collection of MGs under single ownership. Jerry was a founding member of the
North American MMM Register and this year's recipient of the Jerry Keuper
Award. Jerry sold his interest in Abingdon Spares, Ltd. in 1999 and in recent
years had been considerably downsizing his MG collection to a more manageable
level. He continued his interest in skiing and teaching by serving as a ski
instructor at Stratton Mountain, VT. until illness forced his retirement in
2001. Jerry was also a knowledgeable and keen collector of 18th century
American decorative arts and furniture.

 Jerry is survived by his loving wife, Doris and their daughter, Nicole. He
will be sorely missed by all who got the chance to know him.