TD Voltage Regulator Setting

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: TD Voltage Regulator Setting
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:58:43 -0500
Hi Blake:

    I'm interested in this topic, unfortunately my computer locks up when I
try to view this web page. Funny, I've never had this happen before. If
possible, could you try to copy the text of this article and paste it into
an email. If that doesn't work, I'll try a different computer.

    The voltage regulator in my TD was set at 16V, and according to the shop
manual this was correct. But, this setting has always boiled out the battery
water. I was constantly having to wipe acid off the top of the battery. I
set the regulator to 14V and now every thing is fine, no boiling and battery
is charging correctly.

    I have since switched to a sealed AGM type battery (Optima), and it also
seem to do just fine on 14V. I've been curious where the 16V spec came from.

    BTW: I just ordered one of those tiny Dyna-Batt batteries for my MGB.
This is also a sealed AGM type battery. I'll post how this works out when I
get it.

    BTW: My '71 MGB charges the battery at 14V on the nose.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336