Re: Another Cam Question

To: "Gene Gillam" <anngene@bellsouth.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Another Cam Question
From: "Clive Sherriff" <clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:46:50 +0100
Gene

In my experience Most MG Cams have no markings at all
except the168553 (or later number AAA3096) introduced
after TD2/24116.

The cams do wear in use and its is about imposible to
establish what an older cam is by measuring it,

Ive set up a number with dial gauges, timing discs etc
and always got most inconsistent readings from different
lobes!  And never anything resembling the MG Specifications!

However the basic difference between a 19 thou and a
12 thou clearance cam can be got

A way to check which cam you have (assuming an original
Morris/MG one is there) is as follows:-

How to determine which cam is fitted  --

(See Octagon CC Bull Sept 97)  --
1     Remove the plugs so the engine turns easily.
2     Turn the crank until No 1 inlet (2nd from front) is fully
openAt this point No 4 Inlet (7th from front) cam
follower will be on the heel of the cam lobe (this is as
you would adjust the rocker clearances)
3     Set the clearance of No 7 valve to 0.012.
4     Mark the rear flange of the  flywheel pulley 9mm to the
right of the TDC mark (=11 degrees), and another mark
11 mm to the left of the TDC mark (=5 degrees).
5     Now turn the engine so that the pushrod of the No. 4
inlet valve just nips up, and examine the position of the
pully relative to the TDC pointer on the timinhg chain cover.
6     A 0.012 cam will be on the 5 degree mark, a 0.019
on the 11 degree mark.

Regards

Clive