Re: No mail

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No mail
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, David Lodge wrote:

> Need your help again!  My ISP has just told me that my e-mail was
> re-directed back to my former (and now discontinued) e-mail address
> (Mac.com), and obviously without my knowledge!! Now I am far from being
> a cyber-whiz and I'd like to know a), has anyone else experienced the
> same, and b) how this is possible given all the ballyhoo about 'Net
> security, passwords and so on.

David,

Wait a sec while I remove my MG hat and put on my ISP hat.  Okay, ready.

I doubt that this is a security or password issue.  There are several
possibilities, so let's do a test.  I'm sending three copies
of this message:  One addressed to mg-t@autox.team.net, one addressed to
mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, and one addressed to lodge@shaw.ca.

If you don't receive any of them, then indeed mail addressed to
lodge@shaw.ca is being redirected elsewhere.  If so, it has to be your
ISP's mail server that is doing it.  When a remote mail server has a
message addressed to lodge@shaw.ca, it does a lookup in the Domain Name
Service (DNS) to find out the address of the mail server for the shaw.ca
domain.  It then connects to that mail server and delivers the message.
The receiving mail server then deposits the message in your mailbox. It
would redirect the message to some other address only if it was configured
to do so.  You'll need to talk to shaw.ca (is that Shaw Cable?)  about it,
because it's their problem.

On the other hand if you receive the copy directly to lodge@shaw.ca, but
not the one addressed to mg-t@autox.team.net and/or the one addressed to
mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, the most likely explanation is that the two
mailing lists are still sending to your old address.  You have to tell
them about your new address.

--
Chip Old (Francis E. Old)             E-Mail:  fold@bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services        Phone:   410-887-6180