Spring U-bolt, Shock and Shock Link Bolt Tightness

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spring U-bolt, Shock and Shock Link Bolt Tightness
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:01:00 -0600
Good morning.

   Can anyone give me information on the following pertaining to my MG TF

   1- Proper way to tighten bolts on new U-Bolts holding rear axle and springs
together. I have everything assembled in place and it seems to be sitting
properly, but is there a specific torque wrench setting for tightening the nuts
on the U-bolts? Once the first bolts are tight, do you torque the second "jamb"
nuts or do you just make them tight against the first nuts? (I am using new
Moss U-bolts and nuts)

   2- Proper way to tighten bolt on treaded stud on BOTTOM shock link. These
(especially right-hand) seem hard to get a wrench on due to other parts close
by. I have an old wrench that can turn the bolts but not much swing room or
leverage. Do they have to be super tight? Or is it wrong to make too tight,
since they must have to rotate a bit? Torque wrench won't work here because you
can't fit a socket.

   3- How about the upper shock link bolts that go through the shock arm? How
tight? Any torque setting?

Thanks
John Gunnell