Re: transmission help

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: transmission help
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:19:26 -0500
Mike:

<<<snip>>>
> So from looking at the manual, it seems the balls basically are pushed
> into the notches to position the shifter shafts correctly.  It would
> seem to me that if I get a lot of "play" and it is difficult to find
> the gear, that would be consistent.
<<<snip>>>
The balls "lock" the selector shafts in location.  If they are worn, the
spings collapsed, or the notches worn, they might not hold the shaft in
the proper location.

There is another posibility and that is the shift lever isn't forcing
the selector shafts rods far enough into position so the locking balls
fall into their detent.  You need to check for wear on the ball end of
the "gear change lever" (126), the end of "selector lever (front)" (121)
and the gear selectors (72), (77), (64).  The selectors (72, 77, 64) on
the ends of the selector shafts (83, 69, 74) are made of pot metal
(zemack) and have a sheet steel wear plate cast in.  If the plate has
come loose, fallen off, or is worn, then the selector lever (121) isn't
able to push or pull the selector shafts far enough.  You can build up
the gear change lever (126) and selector lever (121) with weld if
necessary.  The selectors would need to be replaced.  These parts can be
removed for repair or replacement without removing the transmission.

Blake