Valve Train Noise

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve Train Noise
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:34:21 -0500
Mornin' Mates

Drove my TD on a 301-mile round trip to the British Car Field Days in
Sussex, WI last W/E.

Wonderful show, but the freeway may have been too much for the TD.

I noticed a noise - not a real bad noise like a click or a knock, but
kind of a noticeable "whirrring" as you speed up in each gear.

I thought it might have gone away and drove the car to work today. It's
still there. At first I thought "tranny" but a check below the bonnet
suggests it is coming from the valve train.

You can't hear it at idle, but when you race the motor it's very
noticeable. Car is still running and driving good. I did note that the
oil level seems too high, but I the noise was there before I topped off
the other day and I've only gone 10 miles since then. So I doubt it has
anything to do with oil level.

John Gunnell
Iola, WI