Re: Oil

To: "Gene Fodor" <crownwhl@sover.net>,
Subject: Re: Oil
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:21:38 -0800
Thanks to Gene for publicizing this - and to Bud for making it available on
his excellent site.

If we have any metallurgists on the list, could someone explain to this
layman why the benefits of the "missing" additives should no longer be
needed after the engine has broken in? What changes in the surface of the
cam lobes and lifter bottoms that makes them "wear-proof" after they have
run for a while? My uneducated thinking is that we ought to use the
diesel-rated - or Redline - oil all the time, now we know the usual oils are
less protective of these surfaces.

Lawrie Alexander