Re: Idle speed too high

To: <WCAHKA@wmconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Idle speed too high
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 14:30:51 -0800
The first thing to check, Bill, is that one carburetor isn't holding the
other one open. Loosen the screws that hold one of the interconnecting clips
so that each carb's throttle operates independently, then back off both
throttle screws and see if the idle will fall. If it does, then set both
screws so each carb is drawing the same amount of air.

If nothing changes when you follow this procedure, take the carbs off and
check to see that the throttle plates are centered properly. When the
throttle plate is closed, you should not be able to see any light around it
as you look down the bore. If light is visible, slacken the screws holding
the plate in the shaft, snap the throttle closed a few times and the plate
should seat itself so there is no light visible. Of course, for this to
happen, the idle adjusting screw must be backed all the way off! Re-tighten
the two screws, refit the carbs on the manifold, leave the interconnecting
bar loose and start and synch the air flow. Finally tighten the
interconnecting bar screws.

If none of this works, then you may, indeed, need new throttle shafts and
bushings.

Lawrie Alexander
British Sportscar Center