Re: [Mg-t] oil oil oil oil

To: "Krislyn Co.LLC" <krislynco.llc@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] oil oil oil oil
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:31:44 -0400
Rocky,
The information that diesel oil still has ZDDP in it is old because they
also changed the API ratings for diesel oil.  I bought some Rotella in
the spring of 2007 for my TD, but by then the zinc was gone and they had
changed over to the new rating.
The problem with all of this ZDDP stuff is that things keep changing.
What you need is 20W-50 oil that is made for something other than road
going vehicles with catalytic converters, like racing oil or
agricultural oil.
Tractor Supply doesn't seem to have 20W-50, so that leaves racing oil.
Some say that synthetics are a problem, so look for mineral oils that
will fill the bill.  That said the new Castrol Syntec 20W-50 vintage
automotive oil is a full synthetic.
Some names that come to mind are Valvoline VR-1 and Brad Penn.  Brad
Penn comes from the former Kendall refinery in Pennsylvania and is
greenish in color.  Kendall is no longer made from PA crude.
In any case if your engine has had several years running on oil before
the zinc was removed, there may be no problem.
If it is recently rebuilt, then some attention is a good idea until more
is known.
Charlie

Krislyn Co.LLC wrote:
> holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!   i got 40 e mail responses to my oil question...... thank
> you to everyone....    however, i remain slightly confused yet.
>
> so i spoke with the rebuilder machine shop tonight and his suggestion was
> Rotella T (NON SYNTHETIC)  15W - 40.
>
> does this sound o.k and does it have the ZDDP as everyone (even the rebuilder)
> suggests.
>
> thanks  as always.......
> rocky
>
> Archives at http://www.team.net/archive

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]