[Mg-t] Valve advice please

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mg-t] Valve advice please
From: Rick Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:14:39 -0500
Hi Friends,B

If you've followed along with my '53 TD restoration, you know that valve #2
(inlet) stuck in its guide, causing the push rod to bend then break.

I drifted the valve out without too much force and the guide did not move. B
The 'glue' that stuck the valve was burned oil / carbon. Both valve and guide
cleaned up perfectly.

Upon removal of the valves I discovered that although they did have the
'neoprene sealing rings', they did NOT have 'oil shields'; using the terms from
the workshop manual. B To my mind, this means that without oil seals installed,
excess oil may have migrated down the stem-to-guide gaps. B And in the case of
#2, burned enough to stick the valve.

Your thoughts? B In your rebuilds, did you install 'oil shields'? B I haven't
cracked open my gasket set so I don't know if they are included...

Thanks again, in advance, for your invaluable advice.

-rick
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded corners, just
like a BlackBerry.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive