Lowering Rubber Bumper Car

To: MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lowering Rubber Bumper Car
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:11:31 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Hello listers,

It's been awhile since I've posted, been busy working on and looking for
MGs!!  Still haven't found the 5 main, metal dash, o/d B that I've been
looking for for over a year, but I'm patient.  I did find several B's in
Houston last weekend, early and late 70's cars - drivers and restorers.
Also a Bentley and a disassembled XK-140. If anybody is interested, let me
know.  The real thrill in Houston was going to the annual british car fest
there and getting to drive David Griffith's 78 V8 B.  He just finished the
conversion and we've talked about what to do and not to do several times.
I've ridden Ian and Glen's cars but this was the first drive. Amazing !!

Did a complete (hoses, shoes, wheel cylinders, pads, disassemble and clean
one caliper, dismantle and clean emergency brake adjustment thingies,
replace one brake line) brake overhaul weekend before last on Maggie, my
'68 B daily daily driver, all the way to putting in silicone brake fluid.
It was very satisfying to drive to work Monday in a 30 year old car with
brand new brakes - it's the best they've worked in the 5 years I've been
driving the car.

The V8 project that I said in December I'd be driving by summer is still in
the body shop - every week the guy says he'll finish this week - about 5
weeks in a row now.  I guess many of you have lived that story.  Maybe soon
and my son and I will have the rest of the summer to put it together.

We fit the 15" minilites with 195-50 tires on the back of the V8 conversion
75 last weekend, and there's about a 4" gap from the top of the tire to the
bottom of the fender.  It didn't look so great, and we're thinking of
lowering the car now.  Is putting in the 2" lower spring kit front and back
from Moss the thing to do. I'd prefer not to change the front suspension
mounting member, but do I loose too much movement in the front end not to ?
  I'd like to hear other opinions and suggestions.

Sure is fun out driving the B - hope you're all doing that too !!

Safety Faster in a V8,

Rick Huber
'68 BRG B Daily Driver
'75 Red 'B'coming Black and 'B'coming a V8