ITS ALIVE

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: ITS ALIVE
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 13:26:54 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well, taking all the advice from last nights response, (and the fact that I
called in to work, after all, one must have their priorities), I started over
with the timing.  Found TDC, not that complicated when someone explains what
the valves are doing.  Changed spark plugs.  My inital thought was correct,
the ones I had been sold the R45 were too short.  I changed to a 43S, which
were about 2 mm longer.

The engine ran okay, smoked for the first few minutes, and then the water
pump failed.  This is my fault, my alternator is sitting a teeny bit
(technical term) too far forward, and the water pump pulley vibrated, and I
sure busted the seals around the impeller shaft, so its off to buy a water
pump before I try again.  I will buy the Buick 300 water pump as this seems
to be the consensus for replacement.

It did sound awesome while it was running, the RV8 headers with the dual 2"
exhausts, using 2" dynomax mufflers sounded nice.  I'll put an audio clip up
on the website when it is running for good.

Thanks to all those who responded.  I learned a lot, which is I guess what
this list is all about.

Glenn