Strokers, jeeps and stuff

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Strokers, jeeps and stuff
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:30:53 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I agree with Jim, stroking a 215 is very expensive.  Start with a 3.9 and
save $800 worth of sleeving.  Used 3.9s are 2-400$ and you can sell the crank.

Building a $8,000 aluminum 302 Ford would come out about the same $per hp
as a 215 stroker.  But when it's bragging time the stroker gets automatic
"kool" points.  Not as many as an aluminum big block though......

We have done 6 Jeep rears....ain't a bit cheaper than a Ford.  Every seal
and bearing in it is double or triple Ford costs.  The rear brakes are
expensive and require enough machine work to cost more than splining axles.
 The posi units are strong but after 200k miles of a Govt. employee taking
out his angst.......check them closely.  The axles are big and beefy, your
5.0 will not break them.  Just be sure to pull the axles before any cutting
or welding is done on the housing.

Now....Jeeps use 3 different rears and 2 suck.  Only the flange axle 44 is
usable.  Ratios are 3.08,  3.54, and 3.73.  3.54s are rare unless you use a
Dodge gearset.  CJ5 axles are long and short.  Djs are equal length.

All said and done, if you do not own a machine shop the costs come out
about the same.  But the killer for me is that the Dana weighs 38 pounds
more than the 8 inch Ford.  Weight removed is free horsepower.

Going to miss the V-8 convention in Sept.  Hoping to do the Florida one in
the Spring.

MGs with posi rears drive just fine.  A 195 tire will only transfer about
150hp.  After that they act as a safety device to prevent driveline
breakage.  Easier changing tires than clutches.  So how are you guys with
the big honkin' Fords goin' to launch those suckers?  I sense a trend
toward pro-street MGBs.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
207-884-8523