Re: Wiring harnesses

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: Wiring harnesses
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 21:03:10 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James-

I am completing my second total rewire of a V8. First car is my GT with now
around 140,000 miles. Second car is my current project,  a roadster. My goal
was lots of fuses, no "daisy chain" circuits, larger wire sizes, elimination
of corrosion problems at connectors. In other words, eliminate as much Lucas
as possible.

In both cases, I started with a street rod wiring harness, 21 fuse, 23
circuits, colored, printed wire. That is each wire is terminated at the fuse
block by the factory & is printed every 6 or 8" with the circuit name such as
left rear turn signal, electric choke, fan, etc. The fuse blocks use GM style
plug in fuses. The theory is that you mount the fuse block in the ideal
location, then route the wires in an organized fashion to the particular
components.

Expect to pay from $200-350.00, mine were under $250.00. This is much faster
and much simpler than designing your own harness. The product from American
AutoWire included helpful instructions & wiring diagrams that were a help
integrating those Lucas turn signals & other switches that I retained.

Not to discourage your present course, but the street rod guys have been doing
this for years & have lots of products to save time, possibly money in the
long run.

Jim Stuart