Second Installation

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Second Installation
From: "Bruce" <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:33:05 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well the engine is in for the second time. I used a lot of the advise from
this group and things went smoother. I used the belt sander to sand off the
old bolt protrusion on the back of the T5 which only took about 20 min. I
discovered that with the gaskets and the headers bolted up that they in fact
cleared the 3.5 Rover block but I will have to do a little more panel
beating on the inner fenders and the transmission tunnel. I jacked up the
rear end of the B and that surely helped with placing the engine. I also put
in the rubber motor mounts and then bolted the engine to them. Much easier
installation. The original MGB cross member (tranny) looks like it will work
out very well with a little modification. The intake/carb and air filter
seems to be an issue. I placed plastercine on the most forward edge of the
carb and placed the hood. 2" clearance, so it now looks as it I have the
wrong air filter. I still have some tweaking to do but it is coming along.
No one said it would be a piece of cake and if it was that easy everyone
would do it.
One question, with the motor more of less in place there is @ 1/2" between
the rocker cover and the passenger bulkhead ( the metal deck edge where the
recycle canister sits) and @ 1 1/2" to the drivers bulkhead where the clutch
and master cylinder fits. Is this normal or should the clearances be the
same?

Bruce