Re: Electrical Help Needed

To: MGB-V8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Help Needed
From: "Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu" <Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:51:47 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>Tonight I was doing a few things before the trip,
>changing the oil, checking the tach using my new fancy
>multimeter tool etc.  The car was idling in my
>garage just fine as always at 900 RPM.  Then the car
>died.  Not sputting,  nothing, just like someone shut
>off the car.  It would not restart.  I'm currently
>using a Petronix Ignitor.  Have not had any problems
>with it.  I'm getting 11.5 on the plus side of the
>coil with key off, about 9.0 with the car cranking.
>The MSD coil is extremely hot.  I ran a wire from the
>battery to the + side of the coil, and got about 11V
>with the car cranking. Not difference.  Tried boosting
>the car from my truck, no difference.  Car is cranking
>just fine.

Someone please correct me if I'm out of line, but shouldn't Glenn be
getting about 14 v on the + side of the coil? I have a sneaking
suspicion that the coil's the problem, not the pertronix. My
experience with most electronic ignitions is that they are very
reliable. Unless it was installed incorrectly, I'd be surprised if it
was the culprit.

Do you have a spare coil to slap on, Glenn?

Joe Pitassi