302 ford engine balancing question

To: MGB-V8@autox.team.net
Subject: 302 ford engine balancing question
From: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 09:19:41 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I had all the rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, dampener, flexplate)
balanced for my 1969 302 some years ago.  At that time, my project BV8 had an
automatic trans planned.  Now, years later, I've changed to T5, bought a new
flywheel that has 0 balance with 28 and 50 oz external weights that I can
attach.  I believe my 69 has 28 oz.  My question is - did the balancing guys
make everything inside balanced to internal balance specs and it's just my
flywheel and harmonic dampener that is the 28 oz part?  What exactly  IS
'internal' -v- 'external' balancing, anyway?  What if I want to change
dampeners?  What about new pistons?  Did they make the crank out of balance
intentionally to match the dampener?  Can I ever buy a new one without
rebalancing everything?