Re: Edelbrock: Carter)carb

To: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>, "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@huntnet.net>, <TR8@Mercury.1cs.mit.edu>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Edelbrock: Carter)carb
From: "bown" <bown@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:17:17 -0600
Cc: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I mostly agree with what Jim Stuart has said.  I think that the
Carter/Edelbrock/Weber 4-barrel is a superior street and mild performance
carb.  However for all out power a finely tuned Holley is better (OK, that
is just my opinion).  Also I believe that a Holley 390 is too small for a
hot 4.6 L V8.  The Holley 600 is a better choice for a hot 4.6 L.  The
Holley 390 is a better choice for a 3.5 L & 215.

Oddly I have never had a gas leakage problem with a Holley 390.  One of my
215's has had the same Holley 390 on it since 1977, and it has never leaked
(or been rebuilt).  However I did have the Holley 600 in my boat (Ford 351
V8) start to leak.  That scared me quite badly (leaking gas in a boat is not
good!).  I replaced it with an Edelbrock/Weber 600 and I like it very much
in that application.

Regards,
Jim B.