RE: donut wheel fit

To: "'BV-8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: donut wheel fit
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <TR3A@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:34:28 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Pardon my ignorance, but did the B's have 15 inch wheels?  If they do, the Volvo
740's use a 155-??-15 donut spare, which can be mounted on a stock B rim.

I found this tire for my TR3 (yeah, yeah -  boo, hiss <grin> ) because the tire
wheel setup I use is wider than stock.  The stock TR3 rim is 4 inches wide and
the stock tire is a 155-80-15.  I AutoX the TR3 and run 60 spoke wire wheels,
versus 48 spoke stock size for strength and width.  I also run 165-70-15's on my
TR3.  The combination of the wider 165's on the wider 4 1/2 inch rims is too
wide for the spare tire compartment on the TR3, unless it is deflated.  The 155
Volvo tire is a nice light, cheap spare that will fit.

I hope this helped,

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A