re: Cooling the Beast

To: "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Cooling the Beast
From: "Duhamel, Tim" <TDuhamel@scprototech.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:48:18 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Engine   62 Buick 215

Radiator  MGB-V8

Mechanical fan  Y/N  No

Air Conditioning   Y/N   NO

Electric fan  Stock twins

County/Province/State   Massachusetts

Performance
         A = Absolutely fine
         B = Fine but could be better
         C = Needs to be improved

B/C on cooling performance.  A recent look down into the top of rad showed
what I would consider a significant amount of scale.  I expect that has
diminished the overall efficiency of the system.  Long traffic delays (read
stopped in traffic) on hot days (>85) and the temperature continues to rise.
Once the car is moving and getting fresh air into the rad and there are no
problems.
The previous incarnation of this engine with lower compression pistons and
an oil cooler ran significantly cooler.  I dropped the oil cooler because it
was causing other problems and was not thermostated.

Headers are RV8 style and airdam is the big "Special Tuning" style.

Cheers,

Tim Duhamel
My Beast is a Sebring'd '79