RE: Please help me!

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <MLuton@miceinternational.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Please help me!
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:16:33 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Once such a plate existed. It has not been produced in 15 years or longer,
was originally made in England. This was a poor set up, in that the MG
transmission is not correctly geared to use the additional power of a V8.
The original factory V8's did use the MGB overdrive gearbox, but the
overdrive was marginal regards the engine power.

The adapter plate you speak of requires cutting off one corner of the
Buick/Rover block so the MG starter can be used with the MG transmission,
rendering the block useless for a TR8 or other bell housing & transmission
at a later date. I do know a fellow in Georgia, USA, that converted 2 cars
using the plate, but he was a very gentle driver.

If you insist on this route, I suggest you contact the MGV8 Co or Clive
Wheatly, both in England.

One other budget idea would be to obtain a 3 speed Buick bell housing in the
States. These are relatively cheap, as a GM 5 speed will not bolt up, an
then have a plate made to adapt a Sherpa, Toyota, or other gearbox.

I would think that if you are on a very tight budget, that there are other
upgrades to pursue, rather than doing a very marginal V8 conversion.

Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket, but you will never be proud of, or
enjoy a poorly done project.

Jim Stuart