Re: CBB -v- RBB rear springs

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Subject: Re: CBB -v- RBB rear springs
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@solve.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 07:49:36 -0600
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
CraigFaubel@aol.com wrote:

> My question is - can you tell the difference between the
> two sets visually, or is the ride height set by spring rate so that both
> appear the same until load is applied??

No and yes.  My spring guy tells me that when you remove a worn out saggy set of
springs, whether it is from a dump truck or an MG, they will look just like a
set
of brand new ones on the shop floor.  Apparently, they loose the ability to
"spring" but retain the original shape once they are loose.

I've bought several sets of springs lately and they all rode high.  Two sets for
an MG B and three sets for a Bugeye.  They came from the usual suspects we all
have come to know and love. Anyway, I ended up putting 3 different sets in the
Bugeye before I took the old set to the spring guy.  They chant and wave duck
feathers over the oven thing and the springs came out right.  As I understand
it,
spring rate has a lot of factors to consider, the least of which is weight of
the
car at that wheel.

I hope that helps.

--