Re: temp/oil pressure kill switches

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: temp/oil pressure kill switches
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:51:41 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Craig, Summit sells an oil pressure kills switch but I think it cuts at
15lbs so it might not work with a buick engine because of the low idle
pressures.  Don't know about coolant kill, but I think you could take an
adjustable thermostat set it to 275 or whatever and wire it to a relay to
ground the coil just a thought.

As for the coolant switch, late 80s to 90s VW rabbits, scirroccos, gulfs etc
had one, it is a three pole switch that connects terminals 1/2 at a given
temp and 1/2/3 at a higher one, they are available for about $30 I think at
any autoparts store.  On the VWs they screw into the lower part of the
plastic radiator tank with about a 3/4" thread so you will have to fab a way
to immerse it in coolant but that shouldn't be too hard.  I have one
installed in my VW radiator in the V8 but only to plug the hole that would
otherwise be there.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8