RE: Rust control.

To: "'T. S. White'" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, "'mgb-v8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rust control.
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:10:03 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
> I am going through a rebuild of my TR3-V8.  As I have poked
> around under the dash I find that surface rust is developing
> on the body panels under the firewall and cowling.  Does
> anyone have a suggestin on how to stop or control this?

Tom,

The factory didn't have a clue on how to do this, what makes you think
we will? <sarcasm>

All kidding aside, it's all pretty accessible once you pull all the
"behind the dash" stuff out.  A good rust dissolver, then epoxy primer
and paint will work, or use a rust reducing or sealing paint such as
POR-15 or one of the Eastwood products.

I have the same surface rust on my TR3.  I am currently ignoring it,
until I can repaint the entire vehicle.  If it starts to be more than
very mild surface rust, I'll use one of the POR/Eastwood products,
spread with a brush (because it isn't visible) until I get to the full
body restoration.  BTW - the metal used on the TR3 is thick compared to
most cars.  If it is truly only minor surface rust, you have plenty of
time (years, even here in Seattle) before it becomes a concern.

BTW - The area where the front wings(fenders) pass the firewall is
likely also poorly painted.  There should be a metal (kind of) "L"
shaped metal piece and a rubber flap keeping crud and water from going
back there.  If either is missing, you will have nasty rust there
eventually.  You may likely get some rust even if they are there, but
our TR3's have outlived the designers expectations by at least 30 years
already, so I'd say it's not unwarranted.  Speaking of potential rust
areas, have you checked your drain tube from the scuttle and the two
from the back corners of the trunk lately?

Regards,

Jack