Re: She died

To: "Bruce" <brucemills@dccnet.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: She died
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:36:52 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Did you replace the condenser?  A failed one will give lots of sparking at
the points but very little at the plugs.  With a good one you should be able
to get a blue spark and a sharp 'crack' of at least 1/2" in length at the
coil, with a bad one it will be a yellow 'fizz' that will barely jump a plug
gap.  Did you check dwell at any time?  Very small or large gap can cause
some cylinders to fire but not all.  Timing correct?  Did you clip a timing
lead onto the coil lead and each plug lead and check for flashing?  If it
flashes on the coil lead but not the plug leads the cap and/or the rotor are
breaking down.  (zero tach noted, implying LT side as you say).

Forget internal ballasting, a coil is either 12v or 6v regardless of what is
inside.  A 12v coil doesn't need the loom ballast, a 6v coil does.  If you
run a 6v coil without the loom (or substitute) ballast it will overheat the
coil and burn the points.

If the flexible ground wire inside the distributor is damaged, or the points
feed wire is broken inside the insulation where it goes through the
distributor body, you can get the symptoms you describe, and a worn wire can
be induced to break by tromping on the loud pedal e.g. when overtaking.  Use
of the accelerator causes the points plate to twist which continually flexes
these wires, and they eventually break.

A new distributor seems an expensive option to fixing what is almost
certainly a simple problem, especially without determining that the
distributor is causing the problem.